Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Procedures Quiz

So, you know how you're supposed to think about outcomes and what you'll be assessing first, and then plan how you'll teach it (at least if you're approaching planning with a backwards design framework)? Well, I have just had an epiphany about teaching procedures to my kids. My first week plans borrow heavily from the awesomely talented Ms. Kelly at Brownell Elementary, and one of the things she does is a test over her classroom procedures. I didn't do this last year, but I just finished making one for this year, and as a person who struggled mightily with management and procedures in my first year of teaching, let me tell you, this quiz was more for me than it will be for my students. It really helped me to nail down what each procedure would be when I had to put it in quiz form. (This probably sounds more obvious to the more naturally-organized among you, but I really sucked at this last year. I had a hard time caring about how kids sharpen pencils or get tissues. But these stupid, stupid things about killed me last year, directly and indirectly.) So anyway, I highly suggest making a procedures quiz to help you think through what you need your kids to know about working in your classroom.

Oh, and I have a Love and Logic post brewing, I think. I hope. Today there was an incident that is currently be Loved and Logicked. I'll let you know how things shake out.

No comments: