Thursday, August 30, 2012

Organizing My Classroom

I set up my computers today, and it will come as a surprise to no one who has talked to me in the last week that this task involved disproportionate amounts of spider-slaying. I even decided to spray poison on the back of the towers just in (the very likely) case I had some kind of spider commune going on inside the CPUs. My room is really unreal. I have heard from other teachers that they get roaches in their closets, which I hope I've taken care of by spraying expanding foam into a giant crack in the back of my closet. (Is there any problem that can't be solved with spray foam? It's my new favorite thing.)

Speaking of closets, here's an extremely gratifying before and after for ya:



Note Miz Fuhrito's use of spray foam in the left back corner there. Nice.

School starts Tuesday: yikes! I haven't even started planning yet. I have a running list of activities I want to do and mini-lessons I need to teach, but I haven't actually sat down and written down when and how things are happening. It'll get done, but unfortunately it'll probably be over the weekend. I have a new resolve this year to manage my time better. My goal is to work no more than 5 hours on the weekend, and no later than 8 on weekdays. I really think that I could be much more efficient if I told myself that I only had a set number of hours to work and then I was done. I'd start to see what was a priority and not, and I'd have more energy during the day to be a better manager, and be better prepped. At least that's my hope. I'll let you know how it goes. 

No comments: