Sunday, August 5, 2012

Habits of Mind

I have been thinking a lot lately about what kinds of habits of mind I want to explicitly teach make a part of my classroom this year, and I wanted to share a great resource I found. I'm not sure how I didn't know about this organization til now, seeing as how they quote John Dewey almost as much as UTEP does. But anyway, it's called the Coalition of Essential Schools. It's a group of schools that adhere to a common philosophy of education and offer support and resources within that community. It consists of public schools, charter schools, and private schools. The coalition's vision is definitely focused around developing habits of mind and social-emotional skills, and generally preparing students to be good citizens and critical thinkers. Unsurprisingly, they have some good resources to help teachers think about habits of mind and heart in their classrooms. There's a whole site called CES ChangeLab with some great downloadable resources, which are all free if you sign up for an account. I am so excited I found this!

No comments: